Mon Dec 2006
    الدولة
    السعودية
    العمر
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Bank of America invests in young student leaders

"I know a lot of teens that want to get involved in philanthropy but need a mobilizing force," says Simone Bernstein, 18. "I'm working to help them have a voice at a large organization this summer."

Bernstein is a participant in Bank of America's Student Leaders program this summer, which placed a select group of 230 "civic-minded" teens in eight-week-long internships at 90 partner non-profits nationwide. Bernstein was matched with the United Way of Greater St. Louis where she lives.

"I'm working with their staff to create a larger program to support teen volunteers in the St. Louis area," says Bernstein. "I'm trying to develop a junior board to help these teens have a voice."

Not only did the Great Recession of 2009 impact corporate charitable donations, as you may have read on the cover of Money today, it also affected teens' ability to find employment. The national teen unemployment rate is currently around 26%. To address this issue, Bank of America's Student Leaders program provides teens with hands-on work opportunities while filling resource gaps at non-profits -- yet another way corporate America went beyond the dollar to make a difference last year.

"Our nation's high unemployment rate disproportionately affects teens, many of whom face financial challenges while preparing for higher education and their future careers," explains Kerry Sullivan, president, Bank of America Charitable Foundation, in a news release. "At Bank of America, we feel the Student Leaders program represents an important investment in the next generation of leaders who will address the issues facing our communities. The program initiates a ripple effect that leads to higher levels of civic service, a greater understanding of how non-profits work and additional positive impact in the communities we serve."

The internship program culminated with a week-long Bank of America Student Leadership Summit in Washington, D.C., July 18-23, featuring educational seminars and the several special guests, including Patrick Corvington, CEO of the Corporation for National and Community Service. Since its inception in 2004, Bank of America has invested $7 million into the Student Leaders program, providing over 1,400 students like Bernstein with the opportunity to give back in a meaningful way.

"This has been a great opportunity to get hands-on experience that I can take back to my own project," says Bernstein, who created a website at www.stlouisvolunteen.com that helps kids and teens connect with volunteer opportunities in the St. Louis area. "I hope to show teens that you can have an impact at any age."

For more information on Bank of America's Student Leaders program, visit www.bankofamerica.com/foundation.

And be sure to check back tomorrow for the next installment of how corporate America is going beyond the dollar to make a difference.

عضو
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Sat May 2007
    الدولة
    أم الدنيا وارض الكنانه
    العمر
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى
    Thank you for the continuing efforts

Every respect

[IMG]http://dc03.***********/i/01751/u674s73prh3c.gif[/IMG]